25 Fun Facts About Jay
- I have not eaten red meat since 1987. I don’t really miss it, but I do shutter at the thought of what would happen to me if I inadvertently ingested a burger.
- I bleed Orange and Blue, and have not missed a University of Florida home game since 1996 (my cousin’s wedding in New York). I have driven through hurricanes and missed Jewish holidays to keep the streak alive. My mother has dropped several “F-Bombs” on me to express her disappointment in my adolescent behavior. As far as I’m concerned, my plans were made before yours.
- I am a runner. To date, I have competed in 16 marathons, one ultra-marathon (50K), and close to 40 half marathons. I will try hard not to talk your ear off about my running; just remember, you started the conversation.
- I find reading very torturous, but my main source of entertainment is comic books. My favorite character is Batman; he’s the world’s greatest detective.
- I am the blindest person you’ll ever meet. I’ve been wearing glasses since I’m two years old. If you doubt me, my contact lens prescription is -10 in the left eye and -11 in the right eye.
- My favorite music group far and away is Steely Dan. I also love the Doobie Brothers, the Allman Brothers Band, The Rolling Stones, Janet Jackson, Britney Spears, and Michael Franks.
- I have been gainfully employed since I’m 15 years old. My first job was at Corky’s restaurant. I also did the Publix and Winn-Dixie circuit. I later graduated to Fayva shoe store before entering college.
- I met my wife Glenda in calculus in 1978. We have been together since then; it’s hard to believe someone could stomach me for this long. We have two perfect daughters. At least that’s what they say.
- I am addicted to professional wrestling, and have been watching it faithfully since I was 14. My all-time favorite wrestlers are Jack Brisco, Hulk Hogan, and Triple H.
- I had two cats, Hulkster and Otis. They were like my sons, and I can’t bear to bring myself emotionally to adopt another pet.
- I first shaved my melon in the year 2000, and not because I was losing my hair. I was starting to get gray, and did not want to shell out the dough every month to get it colored.
- I was born in Brooklyn, and moved to North Miami Beach in the middle of fourth grade. I consider myself a Floridian through-and-through.
- I have actually earned two bachelor’s degrees. The first (from UF) is in Business Administration. The second (from FAU) is in Communication. I also have a Master of Arts degree (from FGCU) in Educational Technology.
- My favorite movie is Wayne’s World. The list also includes Clueless, Blazing Saddles, Caddyshack, and When Harry Met Sally. Comedy is obviously my favorite genre.
- Some of my all-time favorite TV shows include Batman, the Andy Griffith Show, Friends, Seinfeld, Gilmore Girls, Once Upon a Time, Arrow, My 3 Sons, Saved By the Bell, Daria, and Saturday Night Live.
- I am really bad at remembering names I try extremely hard to pay attention, but it goes in one ear and out the other. It usually takes me a good four weeks until I know the names of all of my students.
- I stretch in the morning for at least 20 minutes. I may be the least flexible person you will ever meet. I also stretch after every run.
- I am extremely sarcastic, and pretty much make fun of everyone.
- I was the first President of the Library Club at Sabal Palm Elementary.
- I pride myself on treating everyone with the same level of respect, no matter how young or old they are.
- My motto in life is “You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever.”
- I have a different ringtone and text tone for every contact on my phone. I’m easily amused.
- I love photography, but I would rather hire someone to shoot video.
- I dropped a manhole cover on my foot in college, and broke my big toe.
- My first job after graduation from UF was with Alberto-Culver. They make VO5 products such as hair spray, shampoo and hot oil treatments. I was a Marketing/Sales Representative, and visited every supermarket from Homestead to Stuart. The only good thing about the job was that it allowed me to thoroughly investigate a place for Glenda and me to live once we got married.